London, United Kingdom
The Patent Counsel role is a unique opportunity to help build one of the leading patent positions in the blockchain space (nChain is currently in the top 5 of patent applicants) and put it to use in support of nChain’s commercial objectives. The role would suit a recently qualified patent attorney in private practice who would like to experience working in-house, a team small enough to provide broad exposure to, and significant responsibility for creating and exploiting commercially valuable IP assets.
- Understanding the cutting-edge technology behind the nChain patent portfolio
- Liaising directly with nChain’s R&D team, project teams, and external collaborators to identify inventions and to determine how best to protect them
- Coordinating external patent counsel on patent filing, prosecution, and oppositions
- Evaluating third-party IP opportunities and risks
- Creating presentations and written content about nChain’s intellectual property assets
What We Look for
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be a qualified European Patent Attorney
- Keen interest in learning about Bitcoin, blockchain, and related areas of technology
- First degree in computer science, electronics, physics, or mathematics
- Required: experience in international patent prosecution across multiple jurisdictions
- Helpful: experience in open-source licensing issues
- Helpful: experience in IP audits
- 1-2 year(s) post-qualification experience
- Ability to undertake patent drafting, global prosecution, and European opposition matters
- Ability to undertake and evaluate patent-landscape opinions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with leadership, team members, and external partners
nChain is the global leader in advisory, research, and development of blockchain technologies – providing the tools and techniques for a scalable, stable, and secure infrastructure in global trade. Our focus is to enable global adoption and enterprise-level usage of the Bitcoin SV blockchain.
Through nChain’s intellectual property and services, businesses and institutions benefit from user-friendly, feasible, and reliable product implementations.