Senior Patent Attorney
Location: London, United Kingdom
A quick overview
A unique opportunity to help build one of the leading patent portfolios in the blockchain space whilst supporting the commercial objectives of nChain. This role would be reporting to the Senior IP Counsel based in London in the growing legal team. The ideal candidate will be eager to make an impact and have an excitement for blockchain technology. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about innovation and aware of new and emerging technology in the blockchain space.
We expect you to
- Liaising with other nChain departments, such as the engineering and product teams, to assess the patentability of their solutions and obtain patent protection where appropriate. There will be opportunities for the successful candidate to draft some of these applications themselves.
- Identifying emerging technology trends in the blockchain IP-landscape and working with the research and engineering teams to stimulate IP creation in these areas.
- Performing quality control of patent prosecution conducted by outside counsel.
- Updating nChain’s filing strategy to ensure the right balance between cost, commercial value and legal risks; as well as supporting the implementation of this strategy.
- Performing mapping of key products / technologies onto nChain’s patent portfolio (i.e., via claim charts).
- Conducting FTO searches for nChain’s commercial products and informing key stakeholders of the identified risks and potential mitigation strategies.
- Supporting the IP licensing team with the identification of candidate IP for licensing and potential licensees.
- Supporting the IP team with non-patent work, such as assisting with the implementation of updated copyright, open-source software and trade secret policies.
- Conducting IP due diligence for nChain and other third parties of interest.
- Providing support in relation to IP-related agreements, such as license agreements, or the IP-clauses of commercial agreements.
- Providing different departments with training in respect of nChain’s IP assets and IP policies.
- Providing ad-hoc IP support to the business.
- Keeping senior management informed of the status of nChain’s patent portfolio.
Experience & REQUIREMENTS
We are looking for
- European and UK qualified patent attorney
- 2 – 4 years post qualification experience
- University degree in a technical subject such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering
- Experience of drafting software-related patent applications• Experience of drafting infringement opinions, invalidity opinions, or defences to such opinions
- Experience of drafting and / or negotiating IP-related agreements would be a plus
- Experience of working in an in-house IP department would be beneficial, particularly in relation to setting up IP projects / processes
- Interest or experience in blockchain
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and keep stakeholders informed of their progress
- Proactive and able to meet tight deadlines
- Commercially minded, able to devise solutions that meet nChain’s commercial goals without forgoing accuracy or attention to detail
- Confident communicator – able to put forward and defend own views, and challenge the thinking of others
- Initiative to identify opportunities for nChain and implement corresponding projects
At nChain, two days will never be the same.
We are cultivating a strong social culture and are focused on provided benefits for our people.
Benefits at nChain
25 days of holidays + bank holidays.
A pension match scheme of up to 5%.
Private healthcare insurance, where dependents can be added.
Cycle to work scheme
Exciting office culture
Employee benefits and rewards platfom
If you believe that this position suits you, than we kindly ask you to send us your CV.
Only 1 and .PDF File format is allowed
(.PDF FILE FORMAT REQUIRED)