A quick overview
A unique opportunity to help build one of the leading patent portfolios in the blockchain space whilst supporting the commercial objectives of nChain. This role would be reporting to the Senior IP Counsel based in London in the growing legal team.
The ideal candidate will be eager to make an impact and have an excitement for blockchain technology. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about innovation and aware of new and emerging technology in the blockchain space.
We expect you to
• Liaising with other nChain departments, such as the engineering and product teams, to assess the patentability of their solutions and obtain patent protection where appropriate. There will be opportunities for the successful candidate to draft some of these applications themselves.
• Identifying emerging technology trends in the blockchain IP-landscape and working with the research and engineering teams to stimulate IP creation in these areas.
• Performing quality control of patent prosecution conducted by outside counsel.
• Updating nChain’s filing strategy to ensure the right balance between cost, commercial value and legal risks; as well as supporting the implementation of this strategy.
• Performing mapping of key products / technologies onto nChain’s patent portfolio (i.e., via claim charts).
• Conducting FTO searches for nChain’s commercial products and informing key stakeholders of the identified risks and potential mitigation strategies.
• Supporting the IP team with non-patent work, such as assisting with the implementation of updated copyright, open-source software, and trade secret policies.
• Conducting IP due diligence for nChain and other third parties of interest.
• Providing support in relation to IP-related agreements, such as license agreements, or the IP-clauses of more general agreements.
• Providing different departments with training in respect of nChain’s IP assets and IP policies.
• Providing ad-hoc IP support to the business.
Experience & REQUIREMENTS
We are looking for
• European patent attorney, preferably also a UK patent attorney
• Newly qualified or 1-2 years post qualification experience
• University degree in a technical subject such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering
• Relevant experience as a patent engineer or attorney in the technology industry, particularly software
• Experience of drafting patent applications, as well as infringement / invalidity opinions would be a plus
• Patent landscaping and competitor benchmarking experience would also be a bonus, but not essential
• Interest or experience in blockchain
• Communication skills with the ability to express ideas clearly and accurately
• Excellent research and presentation skills
• Self-motivation, and the ability to manage own workload
• Meticulous attention to detail, and an analytical mind
• Initiative and the ability to act independently whilst supporting the wider goals of the team
At nChain, two days will never be the same.
We are cultivating a strong social culture and are focused on provided benefits for our people.