London, United Kingdom
Researcher / Senior Researcher
nChain is looking for a Researcher / Senior Researcher to join our team.
To be considered, please submit your resume by clicking “Apply” at the bottom of this page.
Reports to: R&D Manager
nChain is the global leader in the research, development, and deployment of blockchain and cryptographic technologies. The Researcher / Senior Researcher will work alongside some of the leading researchers in the blockchain space, and successful candidates will ideally be able to interact with other qualified researchers and data scientists to discuss/review highly complex technical solutions and concepts.
Together, the nChain Group of companies is actively building proprietary technology that can be deployed on a global scale. We prioritize secure technology that facilitates the easy use of blockchain, whether that is for cryptocurrency management or expansion of the blockchain into new paradigms.
We know that great technology needs great people. That’s why we offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, and the unique opportunity to work with some of the greatest minds and cutting-edge technology in blockchain.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for smart people who are able to work quickly with highly skilled peers. Our team is small and distributed but very high functioning. We need people who can self-start and solve problems on their own. They also need to collaborate in all stages of the development process. They need to participate in the requirements review, and give valuable feedback to the business.
We are looking for people who understand software-development best practices. This means that they are comfortable participating in a code review. This means that they produce unit tests. This means that they help with test automation frameworks. This means that they understand modern continuous deployment concepts and technology.
The main responsibilities of the Researcher / Senior Researcher are as follows:
- Interacting with nChain Chief Scientist Dr Craig Wright, turning his ideas into tangible workload for researchers
- Independently develop new designs, methods, and protocols that implement devices and processes on the blockchain
- Discuss and review findings with R & D team where needed
- Keep abreast of developments in blockchain and cryptocurrency, and other technologies relevant to the overall business projections and vision
- Create insightful and explanatory white papers detailing innovations suitable as source documents for continual use, including but not limited to:
- Patent preparation
- Software architecture and technical design
- Peer-reviewed journal publication
- Inquisitive search and examination of useful published documents
- Support nChain’s ongoing recruitment efforts, offering valuable insight and making recommendations as needed
Qualifications and Requirements
This role has the added rare benefit of working closely with some of the leading researchers in the blockchain space – interaction with highly qualified consultants and data scientists is encouraged.
Successful candidates need to offer demonstrable knowledge of:
- Applied cryptography and network security
- Network modelling and simulations
- Distributed computing
- In-depth algorithmic complexity
- Software engineering, using modern languages (i.e. C++ or Python)
In addition, crucial independent research on blockchain topics is desirable. Ideally, you’ll be able to:
- Provide ground-breaking interpretations of research and development papers, ideally demonstrated previously through records of journal publications and/or at conferences
- Exceptional mathematical ability, in and around cryptography
- Superior written and verbal communicative ability (English)
The following is highly desirable:
- Awareness of technology, primarily software/programming principles
- Awareness and knowledge of financial developments, predominantly within blockchain
- Good understanding of professional services and renowned product-related platforms
- Knowledge of financial processes, systems, and products on a global scale
- Higher degree in a relevant field of study – PhD; or
- Lower degree in a relevant field of study plus a proven track record in related non-academic fields
nChain Limited is the global leader in blockchain research and development, and is the R&D service provider in the nChain Group. The nChain Group mission is to enable worldwide adoption and enterprise-level usage of the Bitcoin network – focussing on Bitcoin Cash as the true Bitcoin.