London, United Kingdom
Intellectual Property Counsel
nChain is looking for an Intellectual Property Counsel to join our team.
To be considered, please submit your resume by clicking “Apply” at the bottom of this page.
The successful candidate will act as nChain’s in-house intellectual property counsel, with responsibility to manage nChain’s patent program for Bitcoin and blockchain technology innovation. Overall IP strategy will be set by a strategy committee led by the nChain Group CEO, and the IP Counsel will be tasked with managing the patent program to implement that strategy. The IP Counsel will also oversee nChain’s trademark portfolio and intellectual property licensing matters. The IP Counsel will help manage the company’s outside intellectual property counsel, and from time to time, interact with the company’s external business partners on intellectual property issues.
- Responsibility for managing and implementing a global patent strategy, and building the nChain’s global patent portfolio (implementing overall IP strategy which will be set by a strategy committee led by the nChain Group CEO)
- Liaising directly with nChain’s R&D teams, project teams and collaborators to identify inventions
- Liaising directly with stakeholders in relation to IP issues and protection of investment in R&D
- Responsibility for developing and delivering internal processes for IP function within the company
- Responsibility for managing and implementing a global trademark strategy
- Responsibility for coordinating external IP and legal counsel on patent and trademark filing, prosecution and contentious matters
- Responsibility for evaluation of third party opportunities and risks
- Responsibility for intellectual property licensing and transactional matters
- Represent the company in intellectual property industry groups and at external intellectual property events, as may be requested by nChain Group CEO
- Assist in writing and creating presentations and written content about the Company’s intellectual property assets and technical solutions
- UK Chartered Patent Attorney/European Patent Attorney qualification
- First degree in computer science, physics or mathematics
- Capacity to understand and absorb new concepts
- Ability to undertake patent drafting, prosecution and opposition matters with advanced understanding of excluded subject matter at European Patent Office
- Experience with international patent applications across multiple jurisdictions
- Ability to manage contentious patent matters
- Ability to undertake and evaluate freedom to operate/patent landscape opinions
- Ability to undertake trademark application drafting and prosecution matters is helpful
- Commercial experience in intellectual property licensing and transactions
- Experience with open source licensing is helpful
- Experience in budget preparation and management
- Experience in IP due diligence and audits
- Interest in, and ability to learn, about Bitcoin/Bitcoin Cash, blockchain, and other areas of new technology
- Excellent people skills for interacting with leadership, team members, and external partners
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both in writing and public speaking) skills, to communicate with and influence people at all levels
- A “can do” attitude and capacity to be bold
nChain Limited is the global leader in blockchain research and development, and is the R&D service provider in the nChain Group. The nChain Group’s mission is to enable worldwide adoption and enterprise-level usage of the Bitcoin network – focusing on Bitcoin Cash as the true Bitcoin.